Monday, March 5, 2012

The Problem with Kindle...

If I thought Abu Dhabi was limited with regards to available books, Doha is the end of the world. So eventually, I was forced to join the rest of the world and order a kindle - either that, or start reading serious amounts of chic-lit or vampire tales....
So I ordered my kindle. And it has huge advantages - I browse Amazon and read reviews and order (one-click!) delivery direct to my kindle - it takes seconds for me to purchase half a dozen books.
However, my big problem with it is that it's not actually, not matter how hard it pretends, a book.
In a normal life I leave a book upstairs, a book downstairs, a book in the bathroom and a book in my car. And then I'll have divisions amongst those - serious literature; non-fiction; light reading; historical romances etc. So that no matter where I am, I have something to read. And so I normally have 4 or 5 books on the go at once (and no, I don't get confused. Don't know how though).
Nowadays however, I get up in the morning, go downstairs and find I've left my book upstairs. Go out in the car and find I've left my book at the house. Stand in a Q at Carrefoure and find I've left my book in the car. Or carry the ruddy thing in my handbag (yes, even those few hundred grams make a difference to the weight of your handbag) and find I've not had a chance to read it and wish I'd left it in the car.
Or worst of all, like tonight. Darrell's out for the evening, I'd LOVE to soak in a bubblebath with a cup of tea and some good light literature, but.... what are the chances of my falling asleep in the bath and dropping a hundred pounds worth of electronic equipment into the bubbles?
I had better stay out of the bath, keep awake and blog about my dilemma.....

No comments: