Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sarcoidosis...

As everyone probably knows by now, my immune system decided that it didn't like certain organs in my body, it attacked them and created granulomas which leads to scarring.  This is disease called Sarcoidosis.
Symptoms are shortness of breath, chest pain, exhaustion, muscle weakness and aching joints.

The good news that is that although I have both lungs and lymph nodes affected, I seem to be clear elsewhere in my body.  The other good news is that although there isn't a cure for Sarcoidosis, I stand a very good chance of going into remission and not being bothered with it again for a while.  We're hoping to achieve this with the help of corticosteriod called Prednisone.  The down side for me is that the steriods have made me put on masses of weight - I weigh more than I did when I was pregnant!!  Aaarrgghhhh!  And I struggle to exercise, so I just have to put up with the weight for the time being.  I keep on bumping into people I haven't seen for a while and invariably the first thing they say is "Gosh, you've put on weight!"  NOT tactful!

If anyone would like to read more about it, stopsarcoidosis has a lot of information, so take a peek if you've got the time or inclination.

This one has more information on what it's like to have Sarcoidosis: Being Sarkie Being Sarkie

No comments: